Thursday, July 17, 2008

It's a been more than a year since I last posted here at The Floating Opera, so I should probably give my audience (assuming they're still around) some kind of summary/synopsis/update. Here's a short one:

I moved to the Department of Safety in Anacortes, WA, in mid-August of 2007. I was very excited about the place at first, but my always-tentative money situation and the state of the organization crippled that enthusiasm significantly by the beginning of the new year. In November, I started having long phone conversations with Dina, a girl I'd taken a class with at the University of Iowa who I'd stayed in contact with via e-mails and mix CDs. We ended up falling in love with each other and moving in together. We're living in Sunnyvale, CA, right in the middle of Silicon Valley; starting in August, she will be teaching at Fremont High School here in town, and I will be in an entry-level position at Google.

The Google thing is recent. I spent about a month looking for jobs before I got realistic, signed up with a few staffing agencies, and got this gig. It's not glamorous at all, nor does it pay well - unless I get a raise very quickly, I'm going to have to continue to freelance on the side. (This comes as a bit of a blow to me. The main reason I got a "straight job" is so I wouldn't have to freelance anymore.) Still, it's Google, and I'm psyched about that. I'm going to make the best of the situation, and who knows? Maybe it'll be awesome.

More later.

Ryan
xoxo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home